The very idea of having black mold strikes terror into the hearts of homeowners everywhere. But what exactly is black mold? Interestingly, black mold isn’t just one type of mold. It’s a label applied to many different types of fungus. But stachybotrys chartarum is the species we tend to call black mold.

This particular mold species contains melanin, hence its color. And like all fungus, it requires certain conditions to thrive. For example, black mold prefers humidity over 90% and poor ventilation. Also, it requires the right nutrients to grow. Common places to find mold are wallpaper, drywall, and even furniture. Because this type of fungus needs poor air flow in order to thrive, you can even find it in crammed closets and packed bookshelves.

While damage to the home is worth considering, many people are far more worried about toxic mold sickness. And that’s a valid concern. But it’s also important to remember that not all mold is toxic, and not all types cause illness. Before panicking, get a professional on the case. Whether your mold is toxic or not, we can help!

Unfortunately, ingestion or inhalation of mold spores can lead to sickness. And certain people are more sensitive and prone to mold-related health issues. Some common toxic mold health effects and symptoms include coughing and sneezing, persistent headaches, chronic fatigue, irritated nose, throat, eyes, respiratory symptoms, and skin rashes.

Obviously, if you or someone you love have these symptoms, pick up the phone. It really is better to be safe than sorry when it comes to mold spores in your home. And if your home has ever had water damage, all the more reason to get a test by the experts.

Luckily, Peak Restoration are professionals who can help restore your home. Whether you can see mold or it’s hidden, damage restoration experts will make your home beautiful and functional again. Because black mold can be so dangerous, it’s important to enlist a pro. Generally, removal of black mold goes something like this:

The first step includes full inspection for signs of mold. Next, professional containment of all affected areas. We will remove any damaged materials, thoroughly clean and sanitize, and finally insure the removal of mold.

While DIY is fun and worthwhile, black mold is not one of those projects. Because it’s dangerous and requires professional skill and tools, this is one job best left to the experts.